Friday, February 21, 2020

HOMESCHOOLING THE FIRST YEAR: THE VINCENT FAMILY!

Oh, how many of us wished we had not felt so alone in those first few years of homeschooling! Never fully sure of what we were doing, and longing for a pat on the back or someone to check in and simply ask how it was going. That's why we long to create an environment for all homeschooling moms to find community. To know that while we homeschool in the privacy of our own HOMES, we are not isolated, and we are not alone! We are part of something bigger. A community that comes alongside other homeschool families, cheering from the sidelines, encouraging and supportive on the tough days, and sharing our lessons learned. Together we stand!

HOMESCHOOLING THE FIRST YEAR is an up close and personal look into one of our THESIS first year families! Welcome our friends: The Vincent Family.



What is your name? 

Hi, I’m Brittany Vincent. I have three kids: Charley (6), Mary (4), and James (1). My oldest daughter, Charley, attended the public school last year for Kindergarten but this year is home with me for First Grade! 


We are halfway through our first year and what have you learned?

On a practical level, I’ve learned the importance of a schedule/routine. It has given needed structure to our day. Meal and snack times are good for read-alouds and make for smooth transitions to math and reading lessons. Finding a daily rhythm has been our biggest struggle and accomplishment of the year! Sounds like a small feat, but it feels like a victory. 

On a personal level, I’m learning to accept my limitations. My house won’t be as organized as  I’d like. My homeschool material definitely won’t be as organized as I’d like. That daily rhythm I worked hard to establish, won’t function perfectly (or even somewhat decently) everyday. And I’m learning that all of those un-ideal situations are okay. 

What has surprised you for the good that you didn’t expect? 

The network it has afforded. When I was considering homeschooling it was mainly about what I thought would be best for our kids- I didn’t expect it to be something that would benefit me. BUT, the people, authors, and speakers I have been introduced to through homeschooling have been blessings in my life. 

What scared you the most going in and how have those fears subsided... or have they?

I was mainly afraid of the unknown... What educational pathway is best for our family? That question (and all its implications) was a source of fear for me because I was unable to confidently answer it. These fears have subsided (although not completely). I think growing in my understanding of why I am homeschooling has helped shield me from these fears. 

What wins have you seen in your own life, kids life? Character, education, relationships?

It’s rewarding to hear the kids make connections between the stories we are reading and the events happening in our lives. In this way, reading together has enriched the conversations in our home. 

Do you feel you have found a community of support in your journey? If so- how has this helped?

Yes, thankfully. It’s easy to lose sight of long term goals when short term realities are so difficult! However, community has helped keep my perspective on track as well as provide encouragement. 

I love homeschooling because...

I love so much about homeschooling! 
The mornings are relaxing, and we aren’t rushing out the door! 
I know exactly what she’s learning. Playing outside! Freedom!

My kids like being home most of all! 

My biggest struggle is...

Feeling productive when the days are mundane. 

Where I could use the most help or advice from other homeschool moms would be...

Share any and all wisdom!

Missed the post on the Wilmoth family? Get to know another new THESIS homeschool mom by clicking here.

No comments:

Post a Comment